Can I Discharge Federal or State Taxes in Bankruptcy?

“I heard that I can discharge my tax debt, is that true?”  The preceding question is one that is frequently posed in our Utah bankruptcy practice.   Federal and State income taxes may be eligible for discharge under Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 of the bankruptcy code under certain circumstances.

Chapter 7 bankruptcy provides for a full discharge of allowable debts.  Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a debt consolidation and a partial repayment of debts over a period of time; allowable debts that are unpaid after completion of the repayment plan are then discharged.  As a result, under either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 may be discharges, so long as the requirements are met for discharge.

There are five rules that determine dischargeability of tax liabilities:

  1. The due date for filing the tax return is at least three years prior to the filing of the bankruptcy petition.
  2. The tax returned was “filed” at least two years prior to the filing of the bankruptcy petition.
  3. The tax assessment is at least 240 days old (as of the date of filing the petition).
  4. The tax return was not fraudulent.
  5. The taxpayer is not guilty of tax evasion.

First, the tax debt must arise from a tax return that was due at least three years prior to filing the bankruptcy petition.  This requirement includes any extensions.  So, if you filed for an extension, the time period is calculated from the due date of the extension.

Second, the debtor must have filed a return.  This requirement is met when a debtor participates in (provides information and documentation) or signs off on a return, pursuant to Internal Revenue Code section 6020(a).  This requirement apparently does not include, however, a service-filed return pursuant to Internal Revenue Code section 6020(b) where the filing is not done with the debtor’s cooperation and is based on information obtained by the taxing authority on its own.

Third, the taxing authority must assess the tax at least 240 days before filing the petition.  This is when the taxing authority sends you a notice of assessment or the IRS issues a certificate of assessment.

Fourth, the tax liability is only dischargeable if you did not file a fraudulent return.

Fifth, your tax liability cannot be discharged if you are guilty of intentionally trying to evade taxes.

If the five requirements listed above are met, the taxes are dischargeable.  In some cases it may be advantageous to wait to file the bankruptcy petition until the tax liabilities are dischargeable.  If taxes are not dischargeable, but the debtor cannot wait to file for bankruptcy, the Chapter 13 bankruptcy may provide for additional benefits for dealing with the tax debt.  To assess a particular situation and determine the dischargeability of tax debt, you should consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney.

Spread the word. Share this post!

Russ Weekes

Russ Weekes

Russell B. Weekes is an experienced Utah bankruptcy attorney. Mr. Weekes represents individuals and businesses in chapter 7 and chapter 13 bankruptcies across the State of Utah, including Salt Lake, Ogden, Provo, and Logan.


  1. Bertha Avila Reply

    I owe taxes for 2009 when I married. I am
    not divorced and franchise taxboard is
    contacting me for the payment of joint taxes.
    My ex-husband does not work and is possibly
    on disability due to health problems. I
    am considering bankruptcy and want to know if
    I can include these taxes?

    • Russ Weekes
      admin Reply

      To determine whether the taxes are dischargeable, you look to when the taxes were assessed. The taxes are assessed when the IRS or other taxing agency sends you a notice of assessment. If you filed on time in 2009, the taxes are likely dischargeable. Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>